When we moved into the new house we weren't wild about the kitchen cabinet doors. They had trim on them which caused the hardware to be mounted in an odd location. In addition, we prefer the look of shaker style doors. Dave took the trim off and belt-sanded the doors.
He used 3/4" finishing nails to add 2-1/2" wide poplar strips (off the shelf at Lowes/HD) to the door faces.
Then he put wood filler where the new poplar pieces met the existing door.
He also added poplar pieces of the same thickness to our drawer fronts so they would be the same thickness as the doors. The bin pulls are discontinued Pottery Barn ones that we found for $5 each on Ebay. We will be putting the labels in soon.
With the open shelving and the new cabinet doors our kitchen is beginning to take shape!